okay. here goes. magic.

I’m doing this. I’m a bit nervous. [Did I mention that? Can you tell? Is it showing?]  Man, poetry has really never been my thing. But apparently intense emotion has. I have a feeling each day’s poem will act as a billboard to the world advertising my current state of mind. And they might suck, too. Please be gentle.

lost.

magic.

where is my magic?
I searched for happiness.
I craved a peaceful mind.
I needed a rest from life
and strength to carry on.

where is my love?
I thought it was inside
but I feel none of it.
I’m always looking, waiting,
trying to fill this space.

where is my dream?
I lost it in the night
where it once could be found.
I need it back for my soul –
it’s dying without it.

where is my pain?
this one I can locate –
I found it in my heart.
it seems to be my constant,
shredding my hope to bits.

where is my magic?
I feel it around me
but too distant to touch.
I can see it in them all
but never inside me.

~Writing 101 | Poetry | day 1

Sandra is a writer, blogger, poet, artist, emotional disaster. She thinks far too much and sleeps far too little. Sandra lives in the Northeastern U.S. but dreams of an oceanfront home in Hawaii where she could learn to surf. She loves books, brutal honesty, coffee, and the color black. She hates insincerity, beer, whipped cream, and facebook. And she is uncomfortable talking about herself in the third person.
This entry was posted in anxiety, bloggingu, depression, personal, poetry, writing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to okay. here goes. magic.

1. Tiegan says:

It’s pretty good.

I think you’re underestimating yourself! If someone was to judge how could your poems would be just by the previous post, they would think it was seriously worse than even amateur.

I don’t think it’s perfect, but I do think you’ll get a lot better as you progress. Good luck!

-T

2. lolabipola says:

I thought it was great! Better than any effort I could make.

3. lolabipola says:

Here’s one I like (but its not my own)

I wish I were a glow worm
    Glow worms are never grumpy
    How can you be grumpy
    When the sun shines out your bum

4. rosemawrites says:

Oh why so nervous? This one’s great! I love the questions and your heartfelt answers!

5. Deb says:

This was way better than what you prepared me for! Great stuff.

• Ahh.. that was my evil plan all along! No… seriously… poetry is kind of foreign to me. I sometimes don’t ‘get it’ when I read it (like, I don’t know why it’s good if someone says it’s good… or why it’s bad if it sounded good to me!) so I feel a bit lost writing it!

6. Wandering Soul says:

you could never be able to write bad, even if you wanted to 😀 loved it!

7. sassandsauce says:

Sounds really great Sandra. I loved the way you have expressed your emotions. 🙂 But I do like poetry that rhymes better.

8. Debby Thompson says:

Well if that’s the first day you ought to be really proud of yourself. It’s a great start. Looking forward to reading more 🙂

9. Great job Sandra! The feels going on in my heart are enormous after that!

10. Poetry does not have to rhyme to be nice. I like this. Its a lovely first attempt and I dare say anyone else to say differently.

11. wwwpalfitness says:

Reblogged this on wwwpalfitness.

12. wwwpalfitness says:

A good start I can start with pain starting with A, love, beginning b, dreams going back to a and etc. You write well as always and you, as well as even myself can be a half a tick from a 9 to a 10. I think you have 10s in you:)

13. And now I found this! It’s wonderful! Don’t sell yourself short! Well done!

14. stephieann8 says:

I think it is fantastic! I signed up for the same class and I haven’t written poetry since high school (15 years ago).

15. I dig it, girl! Well done!

16. Misky says:

Well done. Looking forward to reading more of your work this week.

17. Pingback: psst… I’ve got a secret. #socs | what sandra thinks