it just makes me sad.

This will probably sound ridiculous… but it’s making me so sad. I have tears.

An app my daughter loves on her phone updated to a new version and she hates it. It’s totally different and she’s miserable. She cried for over an hour about it. My husband tried to install the older version but it didn’t work. She doesn’t know yet… she fell asleep while he was trying to fix it. She is going to be devastated when she wakes up.

I don’t know why my husband couldn’t fix it. There are instructions all over the place explaining how to do this. He’s really good with this sort of thing… I don’t know why it didn’t work. But if he couldn’t do it, I think it would be a bad idea for me to try. I know what I’m doing less than he does. I don’t want to fuck up her phone.

I know it seems like it’s not a big deal, but to her, it’s huge. She uses it with her friends and she is convinced she will have no friends now. There’s nothing I can do. It makes me feel sick.

There’s always something. Always. My family… always something. If any little thing can go wrong, it does for us. I just want my girl to be happy. What the hell kind of mother am I if I can’t make her happy? I hate Mother’s Day. It just emphasizes how much of a failure I am.

x
sandra

Sandra is a writer, blogger, poet, artist, emotional disaster. She thinks far too much and sleeps far too little. Sandra lives in the Northeastern U.S. but dreams of an oceanfront home in Hawaii where she could learn to surf. She loves books, brutal honesty, coffee, and the color black. She hates insincerity, beer, whipped cream, and facebook. And she is uncomfortable talking about herself in the third person.
This entry was posted in anxiety, life, writing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to it just makes me sad.

1. I hope she remembered to wish you Happy Mother’s day and give you a hug when she woke up. Hugs to you Sandra.

2. Maybe the initial change in the app is no good, but can she learn to like it? I know it’s not the same and to a tween it’s the end of the world, but maybe after a few days of using it, it will be better?

3. Jheelam says:

I don’t have any tip to offer on app (being the tech-oblivious) but on a different note: please don’t be so hard on yourself as a mother.

I don’t have children but have seen my own mother and other moms in my family/surroundings having self-inflicted guilt-trips and becoming miserable at the end of the day.
    Moms are not superheroes as projected by the popular patriarchal media. Not every onus lies onto them. Take Care.

4. Meg says:

If her app updated so will all her friends’ apps. And a lot of times the older version will stop being supported and won’t work anymore too. So all the kids will be using the new version, too. She will get used to it. Kids are adaptable especially with technology. Truly!Give yourself a break today, Sandra! ❤️❤️❤️

5. Hunida says:

I hate app updates! Poor girl! 😣

6. Hope your day went well. Meg is right, our stupid apps keep updating and not always at the same time, but eventually everyone’s will. Those preteens take everything to heart. It will be better…

7. Marquessa says:

I echo all of the above. Especially that all of her friends will be in the same boat and will relearn it. Is that only with Apple?

8. mydangblog says:

I’m so sorry. And I totally understand. I hate when something I’m used to suddenly changes and becomes unfamiliar and frustrating. But the fact that you care so much about this makes you an excellent mother, definitely not a failure.

9. Mel Gutiér says:

Doubt you’re a failure… you know how many Mom’s don’t give a flip about meeting their children’s basic needs? Are you meeting her basic needs? Shelter, food, clothes? Love? I’m pretty sure you’re an awesome Mom! 💖💞💖

10. jrvincente says:

I hate when they do that. 😦 I empathize completely.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w