the perk. #33

Maybe I’ve spent most of my life with ‘friends‘ who were a bit selfish and self-centered. I mean, people should take care of themselves and put themselves first sometimes. That’s true. But sometimes they should focus on someone other than themselves.

Maybe that’s why I am so touched by a friend who really listens to me and doesn’t stop caring (or being there) when I’m a disastrous mess. I know I can be difficult to be around, but she puts up with me anyway.

Maybe that’s why I ‘m so touched by a friend who thinksΒ of me and does wonderful things for me without me asking or prodding or dropping hints. Someone with no obligation to do anything for me… but she does them because that’s who she is.

My friend.

I only wish she lived down the street. Or in the same town. Or in the same state. But that doesn’t make her any less amazing.

She heard it was my birthday this weekend so she decided to send me a gift. Only it wasn’t a gift. It was gifts. It was beyond generous… too much really. It brought me to tears to know that someone out there cared enough to do such a thing for me.

How did I make a friend like this? How do I deserve a friend like this? I wish I was more like her. My life isn’t going great at the moment, and I’m afraid I sometimes get so caught up in my own issues that I’m not as good of a friend to her in return. I don’t mean to be selfish. Especially not with her… but I bet she understands… because she’s the best.

And I still selfishly wish she lived near me.

(love you.)

p_heart-div

Β©2017 what sandra thinks

Sandra is a writer, blogger, poet, artist, emotional disaster. She thinks far too much and sleeps far too little. Sandra lives in the Northeastern U.S. but dreams of an oceanfront home in Hawaii where she could learn to surf. She loves books, brutal honesty, coffee, and the color black. She hates insincerity, beer, whipped cream, and facebook. And she is uncomfortable talking about herself in the third person.
This entry was posted in the perk, weekly perk, writing and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to the perk. #33

1. Marquessa says:

Beautiful. Now THAT is a TRUE friend.😚

2. tarnishedsoul says:

What the actual hell?!?!?! I need a friend like that.
    Happy birthday, by the way! πŸ˜€

What a wonderful friend!

4. So happy that you have a good friend like that! I wish that everyone was so thoughtful! πŸ™‚

5. Friends like these are truly gods gift to us. I too have been blessed to have such friends πŸ˜„

6. Simon says:

That’s a real friend… So beautiful. 😊

7. Aww, how lovely for you! And blogging friends are true friends, but I understand wishing we all lived closer. We need a reality show like Survivor. We could call it Blogtown! Happy birthday, by the way, in case I forget to say it tomorrow ❀

8. You deserve her because you’re an awesome sauce person, Sandra! Awesome sauce WITH cherries and sprinkles! And happy birthday tomorrow!

9. Meghan Tregellis says:

That is really awesome! And the best gifts are the unexpected ones! Enjoy your weekend and like Tar said… we are aging like fine wine (says the woman still traumatized by her last birthday!) Anyway have a happy day!

10. pluviolover says:

Happy Birthday.
    For me, it’s not the number or the age. It is seeing someone my age and realizing how much younger I look. Like my last high school reunion, “WTF happened to you people?” Good friends, denial, and avoiding mirrors keeps us young.

11. A really good friend is one of life’s best gifts. You’re lucky to have one. 😊

12. Awe, you are the sweetest and I’m assuming you’re talking about me? This Georgia Peach loves her Sandra dearly! You deserve the best and you are fucking amazing and don’t you ever forget it! Love you birthday girl!